Social Icons

twittergoogle plusrss feedemail

Monday, April 14, 2014

Working In Purpose

One of the very first lessons God began to deal with me about, in my kitchen, is my attitude. He began to put His Word in my face dealing with my attitude and outlook about my identity in Him. This is important, and one of the very first humbling lessons and experiences God seems to use to purify us with. Sometimes we think we know who we are and who God is until He holds up the mirror of His Word to our hearts. In all that I knew, I quickly found out that I didn't know anything. What a humbling experience! I learned that most of what I perceived, knew and understood about myself and about God was blurry. This blurriness was corrupting my vision toward my destiny in God and it was trying to persuade me to draw back in fear (Heb. 10:38). God loves me (you too) so much that He brought (and still is) bringing these issues about my perception and character to the forefront. Some came by way of embarrassment, others through prayer. But I am just thankful that it came.


Proverbs 3:11-14

“My son, despise not the chastening of the Lord; neither be weary of his correction: For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth. Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold.

Now that it has come, I recognize it as an opportunity to humble myself under His mighty hand (1Peter 5:6) so that these flaws can be corrected. God’s purpose in bringing these things to my attention is to establish me and fortify me. He wants to do the same for you. One of the scriptures that came to my mind about this truth is 1 Peter 5:10:

“But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.”

Isn’t that just like God?

Of course it is!

David experienced this truth as well by saying: “Blessed be the Lord my strength…My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield and he in whom I trust…” (Ps. 144:1-2)

Another scripture that came to mind is 2Tim. 3:16 and 17.

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.”

2Tim. 3:16-17 blew me away! In applying this scripture to my situation I immediately understood that God has given me a word, and what He is speaking to me about me is benefiting me because it is: teaching me (revealing to me that He is not pleased with what I am doing), correcting me and in instructing me in His righteous way (His will, thought, purpose and action).

Why is God doing this?

So that I can be complete in knowledge and understanding which prepares me to be fully equipped in what He has called me to do. Right now in my kitchen I am learning that my understanding of who I am in God manifests itself in every area of my life. It manifests itself in my family life, work life, social life…everything. Currently the spot light is shining on my work life. God is cooking up something wonderful and it smells good! He is teaching me how to be confident in who I am no matter what my natural job description is and how I am treated. He is working on my attitude...love. How I treat others no matter how good or bad they treat me. Truly this lesson is teaching me to exercise myself unto godliness.

To share some personal info, I am a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant). I am a caregiver. I am rarely appreciated and I am looked down upon by patients, some nurses as well as other hospital staff that get paid more than I do. I am viewed as a mere servant. I go for this and I go for that. I take people to the bathroom and wipe their bottoms. In their eyes this is all that I am capable of. These are the types of attitudes, perceptions and imaginations (opinions raised up against the knowledge of God: 2Cor. 10:5) that I continually encounter at work that can have the power to shape my attitude and give me a sense of false identity. However, I LOVE what I do. I am taking care of God’s most valuable creation. How awesome is that! But these attitudes, imaginations and the stark comments that go along with them do get to me. When they do, I bypass my feelings and the hurt casting down every imagination and I lifting up what I know is the truth.  I know that I am not what they say or perceive me to be because  I trust and I believe what God’s Word says about me. I also know where He is taking me and what He is preparing me for.

God is trying to get me to a place where my knowledge about who I am in the kingdom supersedes the knowledge about who I am to other people to the point where it does not affect me. To the point where I am content, proud and unashamed about what I do professionally. My job does not define who I am. This is the perception change that God is dealing with me about that helps me to understand my identity better. That type of thinking (the perception that we are what we do and we are only worth what we are paid) is the mentality of the world. This is the carnal thinking and teaching that the world sets their affections upon and it is killing people. Some have committed suicide over this thinking their job is their identity. They think if they loose their  job, then they loose their identity. What a lie! The system and values of the world teach us that if we do a certain work that does not pay large amounts of money, then we are nothing.

God gave me some good news!

He told me that I am not of this world anymore. Good God from Zion! That just shut all my insecurities down. It shut down the “feeling” that I needed to go back to school and apply for the RN program – something God expressly told me not to do. It helps me cope with all of the demeaning attitudes and comments. I am not of this world! As a result of God’s Word I am not supposed to value the system of the world anymore (1Peter 1:17, 2:11-12). I am a stranger, a pilgrim, a sojourner. I am no longer a citizen of this world. I am in the world, yes, but I am no longer of this world (John 15:19). Therefore I MUST renew my mind so that I will not be contaminated by the system of the world and their way of doing things (Rom. 12:2).

I must admit, it’s kind of hard when we were brought up into the system of this world, then God graces us to be translated out of it into His system (Col. 1:13). In order to live successfully in this dichotomy there must be a certain foundation that we must have (Heb. 11:10) and continually run into so that we will be safe (Prov. 18:10). God is blessing me to run into it again. Every so often we need to go back to our foundations in what we were taught in order to have a fresh reminder. I have to go back to I am fearfully and wonderfully made (Ps. 139:14) and all of those scriptures that I learned when I first believed. I never want to despise my small beginnings because it was in these small beginnings that God has shifted me from faith to faith and glory to glory.

I am learning that God does not want me to work for money. He wants me to work or do what I do IN PURPOSE!

Did you get that?

Don’t worry; it took me a while too. Working IN purpose is different than working for a pay check or having a career that is highly sought after because of the salary. Working in purpose causes me not to focus on the money or the expectations of society. The Bible teaches that our peace has a lot to do with what we are focused on. We are told that if our mind is focused on God only, then He will keep us in perfect peace (Isa. 26:3). If I am focused on God, it means that I trust Him. If I am focused on money or status then that means that my trust is in those things.

Wrong thing!

I choose to trust in God (Jer. 17:7-9). My motivation for working is not money or to have "things." Yes I have bills, wants, needs and desires like everyone else. But...because I only trust in God I now have a working understanding that God knows that I have need of these "things" (Matt. 6:28-34). God knows I need food, clothes, and to pay my mortgage. God knows I need gas for my car. The Scriptures in Matt. 6:28-34 commands us to seek God first. I now understand that when I work IN purpose, this is one of the ways in which I am seeking God in His righteousness. Seeking God in His righteousness is the relinquishing of my own righteousness and understanding (Prov. 3:5-6) – what seems good and of any value in my own eyes. The only true things that are good and valuable are what God deems to be good and valuable. What is highly esteemed by us, by man, is and always will be an abomination to God (Luke 16:15).

My prayer today is God; don’t let me forget who I am and my purpose. No matter who says BOO or how I am treated…God please, as I keep my mind stayed on you, let me be at peace in understanding who I really am in you and what you have called me to do in your Kingdom. My job is me working IN my purpose. It is my purpose because this is where you have me in life to perfect me and to bring me to the place where you told me I was going to go. Because of this I trust you. I trust your process and I will work and be merry in my kitchen. Amen.

God bless you all. My prayer for you is to be content in the kitchen that you are in. While you are there, don’t forget to smell the scent of the glory of God in every situation you find yourselves in.

Sonia kong

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Your Sheet Is Hanging!

Coming Soon!

Listen to Our Podcast On SPREAKER

Be Empowered!

 
Blogger Templates